Children need specific nutrients to support healthy growth, and they need them in items that appeal to their tastes.
Protein is an essential nutrient children need every day. Depending on a child’s activity level, protein should account for 10 to 30 percent of daily caloric intake for children ages 4 to 18.
Whey protein is a complete protein – with all the amino acids that humans need to stay healthy.
Whey protein is a high quality source of lean protein to help with better body composition.
And whey protein contributes to satiety. Foods with whey protein can help curb the hungry feeling that leads to overeating.
Whey protein’s low glycemic load does not cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Consuming whey protein with a carbohydrate causes lower blood sugar than consuming a carbohydrate alone. For children, this means whey protein provides a more sustained source of energy.
Whey protein offers much more than great nutrition. It can improve the appearance, flavor, and texture of foods, and can be used to fortify drinks without causing sedimentation. Clear beverages can fortify with whey protein isolate and maintain clarity.
Hilmar Ingredients has developed formulations for a range of foods and beverages popular with children. We invite you to bring us your thoughts and challenges. Together we can improve child nutrition by providing healthy foods and beverages kids will enjoy.
Whey proteins also deliver critical functionality to foods and beverages.
- Acid beverages: stable over pH range, clarity
- Bakery products: moistness, egg replacement
- Confectionery: emulsification, improve texture
- Cultured dairy: thickening, control syneresis
- Ice cream: freeze/thaw stable, gelation
- Pizza & pasta: reduce carbs, increase yield
- Nutrition bars: extend shelf-life, extrudeability
- Ready meals: emulsification, satiety
- RTD beverages: stable in all processing methods
- Soups & sauces: thickening, starch/gum alternative
- Dressings & mayonnaise: emulsification, egg replacement