Fenchem gets novel foods go-ahead for Cholevel

By Jess Halliday

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags Plant sterols Sterol Phytosterol European union Eu

Chinese ingredients supplier Fenchem has received novel foods
notification for its Cholevel plant sterols in the EU, opening up
the way for the ingredient's direct use in foods.

The company previously supplied Cholevel to the EU for use in the manufacture of sterol esters, differentiating it from other products on the market through its non-GM origins.

But now that the branded ingredient can be added to foods directly (such as cholesterol-lowering margarine, mayonnaise and cream products), Fenchem expects sales in the EU to grow by between 30 and 60 percent.

A spokesperson for the company did not give more information on current sales levels, saying just: "The approval will make Fenchem more competitive in EU market."

Fenchem says that it is the only Chinese supplier to have obtained novel foods go-ahead for plant sterols in the EU.

Moreover, Fenchem is offering its customers technical support on use of Cholevel, through its R&D scientists and lab technicians, which may help reduce the time to market for new products.

Fenchem's petition, submitted through the Finnish food regulatory authorities, was based on substantial equivalence to ADM's plant sterols.

However it is unlikely that ADM will be concerned at the new competition. Together with the other market leaders Cognis and Raisio, ADM is said to control 79 per cent of the market, with the remaining 21 percent split between more than 20 smaller players.

Last year Frost and Sullivan estimated that the European phytosterols market would be worth around US$395.2m by 2012.

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Golden Omega® Sustainability Strategy

Golden Omega® Sustainability Strategy

Content provided by LEHVOSS Nutrition | 11-Sep-2023 | Data Sheet

Commitment to sustainability at Golden Omega® is ever growing as they continue to put objectives in place to secure a better environment for the future....

A Lifetime of Healthy Aging: White Paper

A Lifetime of Healthy Aging: White Paper

Content provided by Gencor | 16-Aug-2023 | White Paper

Live a lifetime of healthy aging with gold standard, clinically-researched ingredients. At Gencor, we are proud to offer ingredients for healthy ageing...

Omega-3:Nutrition and Application Insight

Omega-3:Nutrition and Application Insight

Content provided by Cabio Biotech (Wuhan) Co., Ltd | 31-Jul-2023 | White Paper

Omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) have numerous positive health benefits and are among the most extensively studied micronutrients....

Ingredients designed for women to empower women

Ingredients designed for women to empower women

Content provided by Gencor | 03-Jul-2023 | White Paper

At Gencor, we understand that women have different needs at the different stages of their lives – and that’s why we have clinically effective ingredients...

Related suppliers

Follow us


View more