Aker announced the formation of the Aker BioMarine Science Board (ASB) – made up of recognized scientific experts in fields that directly impact the commercial and scientific activities in which the company is engaged – to provide guidance to the company in the development of not only supplements, but also food and beverages, cosmetics, and feed categories.
“The Aker Science Board will provide strategic guidance for our ongoing research and development program including in vitro, preclinical and clinical studies,” said Dr Hogne Vik, chairman of the scientific advisory board.
“Further, these experts will contribute to our strategic regulatory plans in Europe, North America, and Asia,” he added.
Aker said that given the international scope of its business, each member of advisory board will provide insight from diverse and complementary disciplines, as well as from different geographical regions.
The founding board members include:
- Dr. Sebastiano Banni, associate professor of physiology at the University of Cagliari, Canada.
- Professor Philip Calder, president of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL).
- Dr. Vincenzo Di Marzo, research director at the Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry of the National Research Council in Pozzuoli, Italy.
- Dr.Tomohito Hamazaki, past president and chair of the board of Japan Society for Lipid Nutrition.
- Dr. William Harris, director of research and clinical trials at Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc, USA.
- Willem van Nieuwenhuyzen, founder of Lecipro Consulting, the Netherlands.
Matts Johansen, of Aker added that since it’s founding the company has invested significantly in research and documentation of the health benefits of our krill derived products.
Johansen explained that the advisory board will help the company navigate the development of not only supplements, but also the food and beverage, cosmetics, and feed categories internationally.