KD Pharma omega-3 wins sustainability backing
The company is permitted to display the FOS eco-label on its bulk oil and food supplement products as a result of the certification.
“This is an important milestone for KD Pharma, emphasizing not only our excellence in omega-3 manufacturing, but also underscoring KD Pharma’s commitment to sustainability and preserving marine environments,” said René Kamminga, the company’s vice president for nutrition & business development at KD Pharma.
KD Pharma receives its omega-3 oil exclusively from FOS approved suppliers, from trimmings of squid, cod and tuna, and from anchovies and sardines.
The mixing of fish oil sourced from approved and non-approved sources is avoided by the adoption of a chain of custody, from the fishery to the processing of the finished product, the company said.
FOS criteria include:
- Non-overexploited target stock according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, Regional Fishery Bodies and National Marine Authorities;
- No relevant impact on the seabed;
- Selective fishing method (a maximum of 8% discards);
- No bycaught species included in the IUCN Redlist of endangered species;
- Compliance with legal requirements (including TACs, no IUU, no FOC, mesh size, min size, MPA, etc);
- Energy balance and yearly fuel efficiency improvement;
- Waste management;
- Social accountability.
KD Pharma has in recent years also invested in sustainable practices including rainwater recovery for cooling purposes and deriving thermal energy from waste oil.